Specifications of Biocharcoal by Modern Fuels
Charcoal briquettes (known as biocharcoal) are produced at the facilities owned by Modern Fuels in Tripoli Industrial Estate. The factory has currently a production capacity of 1.000 tons per year, while there is provision for expansion of production infrastructure. Feedstock used includes residues and by-products resulting from saw mills and wood-working factories (such as saw dust, wood shavings, wood chips, wood pieces), as well as residues of high energy content from local agriculture, as olive tree pruning, vine branches and tree crops (e.g. apple trees, pear trees, etc.).
The biocharcoal production process includes two distinct phases:
1. Briquetting phase:
In this phase the chipped and milled feedstock is subsequently dried and fed into briquetting machines. Each one of those machines possesses a screw which drives and compresses the material through suitable matrices of specific shape and cross section. Due to high pressure and temperature, solid and hollow briquettes are extruded through this process.
2. Carbonisation phase:
The briquettes which resulted during the first phase are placed into special pots of specific capacity and are carried within the carbonisation kilns. In those kilns and with the aid of special regulating devices and valves, the compressed briquettes are transformed to biocharcoal. After the carbonisation process, biocharcoals are cooled and subsequently processed through the final stages of sorting, weighing and packing.
Advantages of charcoal briquettes (biocharcoal) by Modern Fuels:
- 100% natural product from renewable woody biomass.
- Easy to ignite due to its low moisture content (below 5%).
- Emits no annoying odours or fumes during cooking.
- No sparkles.
- Long-lasting and economical for the professional cook.
- Contains as binder the lignin, which is present as a natural constituent of wood and absolutely no other additives.
- Due to the almost double compression of the briquettes over natural wood, biocharcoal possesses significantly higher calorific value compared to conventional charcoal, of the order of 7,500 kcal/kg, therefore offers stronger flame during cooking.
Packaging & Delivery
Charcoal briquettes (biocharcoal) by Modern Fuels are packaged in carton boxes of 8kg each, after being placed first in special plastic bags protecting against moisture. For optimal protection against climatic conditions and for maintaining unchanged the quality of your biocharcoal product for a long time, it is recommended to handle and store the products in dry and indoor spaces.
Biocharcoal delivery can take place at Modern Fuels production facility, Block 4, Tripoli Industrial Estate, Tripoli, Arcadia during working days and hours (Monday to Friday 08.00-16.00 and Saturdays 09.00-15.00).