MODERN FUELS has demonstrated considerable activity since the 1980′s upon the field of biomass processing and utilisation for industrial applications. Through its work on various biomass projects MODERN FUELS has built a remarkable experience and expertise, which is applied today in its own production facility, but which can also be conveyed effectively to customers.
Examples of projects with which the company has dealt with are summarised below:
- Replacement of crude oil burners serving steam boilers by systems of biomass burners and boilers into large timber mills, with more characteristic that belonging to the Association of Western Thessaly Forest Cooperatives. The biomass burner was connected to a steam boiler for the needs of wood drying kilns and steaming chambers.
- Design of utilisation of biomass (shells of hazelnuts and almonds) for drying fruits before their storage in the premises of the Associations of Agricultural Cooperatives of Pieria and Drama.
- Utilisation of biomass for drying and steaming wood in sawmills, woodworking factories and wood parquet industries.
- Planning on behalf of the Polish company POLIMEX-CEKOP of prefabricated retorts producing charcoal, a technique which has subsequently spread throughout the Polish forests.
- Construction of experimental installation of fuel gas production using the method of fluidized bed in collaboration with the Agricultural University of Athens.
- Supervision of the implementation of industrial heating generation programs from biomass sources in cotton ginning factories at Davlia region and installation of a combined heat and poweer (CHP) plant through collaboration with the Center for Renewable Energy Sources (CRES).
- Development and monitoring of an experimental field of miscanthus crop in Spercheiada, Fthiotida, Greece, within the framework of an experimental plan to use the finished product as a basis for biofuel production and solid building material for dry building in collaboration with the Agricultural University of Athens and Professor of Agriculture Mr Nikos Danalatos.
- Construction of a privately owned factory for the production of pellets from forest and woodworking residues (wood pellets), as well as agricultural residues (agri-pellets) and the production of compressed briquettes for carbonization.
- Cooperation with foreign factories for installing small to medium-sized pellet production units from biomass (capacity from 0.5 to 4 ton / hour).
- Engineering services for the installation of biomass-fired plants for cogeneration of electricity and heating through the application of gasification technique in a range of facilities such as large greenhouses, drying kilns, steam boilers, limekilns, etc.
- Collaboration with Canadian company JF Bioenergy Inc. about technology transfer to Greece for mobile units of organic waste utilisation for charcoal, bio-oil and bio-gas production, as well as applications of combined heat and power generation.
Collaboration with JF BioEnergy Inc.,Canada:
Mobile Organic Waste Utilisation Technology Transfer
Collaboration with Polimex Cekop, Poland:
Mobile Charcoal Retort Design